KEEPING YOURSELF HEALTHY!
By William for wheezingaway.com
Sometimes the hardest thing to get done when battling COPD and/or severe Asthma is taking care of one’s own body, keeping it healthy both physically and mentally.
I have an email account that regularly gets input about a variety of subjects dealing with my own battle with COPD and severe Asthma, maybe it’s time to share some of that information.
Some of these tips may come in handy when trying to stay ahead of the game health wise, especially during the upcoming holiday seasons of Thanksgiving (here in the United States) and of course Christmas!
The following tips come from a periodic email I get entitled ‘A Nutrition Tip from the Right Plan’!
A THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
- From William James – “Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives!”
For your PHYSICAL & EXERCISE HEALTH:
- To get the most out of every morsel we may put in our mouth – we need to be in a parasympathetic state, be more relaxed.
- Take a few seconds before you start eating to breathe deeply – Then focus on the food you are about to enjoy.
- What does the food look like?
- How does the food smell?
- Just how great do you feel it is going to taste?
- Relaxing, taking deep breathes and really evaluating the food you getting ready to eat will help ready your system to properly digest and getting the most nutrients absorbed.
For your PHYSICAL MENTAL HEALTH:
- Holidays may be busy, but one should take this time to decide what you’d like to be in the New Year – Start making your plan now!!
For your PHYSICAL EATING HEALTH:
- GOODIES – There are lots of goodies available this time of the year. You don’t need to eliminate all of them, just make sure that the ones you do choose to indulge are eaten with intent. Take the time to really savor the flavors, feel the textures, and enjoy the moment. Eating with intent will also help you from overindulging mindlessly.
- COOKIES – Try this idea: for each cookie you break down and eat, agree to drink a full glass of water. You will get full much, much faster when you drink a glass of water for every cookie or snack you decide you must have.
- SUGAR – Sugar compromises the immune system. To help stay healthy as the weather changes, avoid all refined sugars. If you need a ‘sweet kick’ use local, raw honey or stevia – but only use a little bit.
- If you want to really enjoy a holiday and the food that goes with it, then do so for just a day or two – then toss it in the trash because you are NOT required to eat it all!!
With that, I bid to all – smiles, prayers, blessings and steady breathing. William
(Copyright@2019, CrossDove Writer through wheezingaway.com – no part of this write may be used or copied without written permission.)
NOTES: Sometimes we share what may seem like medical information, but we are only giving descriptions and highlights of various aspects of having COPD and/or Asthma and no way do we ever want our information to be considered medical